Sunday, November 1, 2020

Choosing Inner Peace

 


I have a real interest in politics. Unfortunately, this interest has, over several decades, added much stress and anxiety to my life. 

Though I am an American expat living in Ecuador, American politics (especially presidential elections) still affect my life because I remain an American citizen.

The presidential election in the United States this year is more contentious than I've witnessed in my 64 years. The country hasn't been this divided since the Civil War. In families all across the country, family members are at odds with each other. Brother against brother is all too common. A son's children are barred from seeing or talking with their grandparents.

As a Highly Sensitive Introvert, this hate and division, especially among families, hurts me to the core of my being. Family relationships are being destroyed. Lives are being discarded like used toilet paper.

To keep inner peace, I refuse to engage in political discussions and debates. There is nothing for me to gain by participating in a heated argument when my opponents have no intention of listening to reason, logic or common sense ... regardless of the overwhelming facts that surround us daily.

My mental and emotional health is of far greater importance than scoring a few points against my adversaries.

I learned from the 2016 presidential election what happened to me when I got involved in political discussions. While many started calmly, they always ended up in shouting matches in which all participants parted company in personal and collective turmoil. Following those blowouts, my default reaction was to go into seclusion for a few days to 'heal' and to sort things out.

I finally realized that I was the cause of the over-stimulation to my sensory system that brought the stress and anxiety to my life. 

Regardless of how strong my beliefs are, I refuse to fall back into the behavior that brought nothing but resentment, stress and anxiety to my life.

This year, I have chosen peace. Peace with those around me. Peace within myself. I've chosen inner peace instead of constant inner conflict.

----

"The reason why the world lacks unity,
and lies broken and in heaps 
is because man is disunited with himself." 
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your questions or comments.

Lost in the Crowd

  Highly Sensitive People and Introverts typically feel most alone when they are in a crowd. Why is that? For me, there are several reasons:...